Bodiam Station, our present terminus, is a classic light railway station as realised by Holman Fred Stephens.
It has the simplest layout; a run round loop which was mostly used in earlier days as a siding, and one siding (now two) which terminates at a cattle dock.
The building is the same size as Northiam and has been restored to virtually its 1900 condition.
It has a small Waiting and Booking area and a larger goods office. At the end of the building is a small lean-to (now a staff kitchen) that housed an acetylene gas production plant to light the few lamps on the station. The station lighting has now been been discreetly modernised with electricity and exact reproductions of the original lamps. In the station yard, the Cavell Van is well worth visiting
This station was until 40 years ago completely surrounded by hopfields owned by Guinness and the station was busy serving this industry and transporting Hop-pickers in season. Today it is even busier bringing passengers to the historic castle.
An image by Lewis J Brockway, Bodiam Village from The Station May 2012