Nos 46 and 47 BR 03 class Diesel Mechanical 204hp 0-6-0
(BR D2023 & D2024; THPA Nos. 4 & 5)
These twin locomotives have had a remarkably similar career. They were built at Swindon Works in 1958, becoming Nos. D2023 and D2024 respectively. The design is very similar to class 04 which were used on the Kent and East Sussex line during the final years of the BR freight service.
These two locomotives were both withdrawn from BR at Lincoln in July 1971 and a year later became Tees & Hartlepool Port Authority (Middlesborough Docks) Nos. 4 and 5. They were transferred to Grangetown in 1980 and sold to the K&ESR in 1983, arriving on 14 August (No. 47) and 4 September (No. 46).
No. 47 has yet to enter traffic and is on static display at Bodiam Station, but No. 46 quickly received a major overhaul and was fitted with vacuum brake equipment. It re-entered service in Brunswick green livery and although in black for some time was repainted green in 2006. It has taken an active part in operating the railway but is usually to be found at Tenterden Town as the shunt pilot locomotive.
Weight: 30 tons
Engine : Gardner 8L3, 204 hp at 1,200rpm
Transmission: Fluid Coupling and five-speed epicyclic gear box
Tractive Effort 24,000 lb max [15,650 lbs]
Max Speed: 28 mph
Wheel arrangement: 0-6-0 diameter: 3ft 7ins